Call for applications for the Institute of Current World Affairs ICWA Fellowship Program 2020. ICWA is searching for critical thinkers who use their fellowships to develop insight, vision and new ways of perceiving, navigating and improving our highly globalized world. The institute frees them from the routine of their professional lives through a unique two-year cultural immersion program crafted over 90 years.
Fellows are given the time and resources to explore the world through a self-designed program of study, thought and writing. They undertake research and analysis, producing monthly dispatches, after which they join a growing community of distinguished professionals and leaders making vital contributions to their fields.
ICWA wants to cultivate deep expertise in foreign countries and cultures. We achieve that by supporting fellows for two-year immersive programs of self-designed, independent study abroad.
This is a writing fellowship. Fellows are required to produce monthly dispatches made available on our website and email to institute supporters and other interested parties, including family, friends and professional associates of the fellows. Fellows work closely with the executive director, who serves as a writing coach, editor, and mentor.
ICWA Fellowship Program 2020 Details:
- Institute of Current World Affairs
About Your Project:
A proposed fellowship must hold the promise of enriching public life in the United States by enhancing the understanding of foreign countries, cultures, and trends. Public service, social activism or contribution to wider understanding in the United States is our ultimate purpose, from a belief that the public can benefit from the knowledge and wisdom the fellows acquire.
Given in interest in achieving wide geographic distribution over time, they generally are less inclined to select projects in countries where they currently or very recently have had fellows. ICWA is naturally drawn to areas of the world and topics that are less well understood and are relevant to the United States.
- Fellowships are not scholarships. They do not support degree programs at universities, the writing of books or research projects aimed at answering specific questions in a particular academic discipline.
- They expect candidates to design projects of topical interest, fellowships are not aimed at covering news events. They do not send fellows into war zones, or places where intense security concerns prevent them from interacting with the local populace.
- ICWA weighs all proposals with no restrictions on topics or regions.
- ICWA provides full financial support for its fellows and their immediate, accompanying families.
- The institute gives them sufficient funding to cover their expenses, enabling them to fulfill the purposes of the fellowship and allowing them and their families (if accompanying the fellowship) to live in good health and reasonable comfort.
- “Full financial support” does not mean unlimited financial support; fellows are expected to live and spend modestly.
- Candidates must be under 36 years of age at the time of the due date for the initial letter of interest.
- U.S. citizenship is not a requirement, but candidates must show strong and credible ties to U.S. society.
- Applicants must have excellent written and spoken English-language skills and must have completed the current phase of their formal education. (Not accept applications from currently enrolled undergraduate students)
- ICWA expects candidates to have the necessary language skills to allow them to carry out their proposed projects. That means enough language proficiency for candidates to be able to function in the local language within a few months of arriving in-country
How to Apply for a fellowship in the US?
- Those interested in applying for an Institute of Current World Affairs Fellowship should send an initial Letter of Interest and a resume or CV in English to the institute via email. (Post is also accepted.)
- In your letter of interest, tell them what you would do if you had a two-year, self-designed fellowship overseas and why you’re the right person to carry it out.
- There is no fixed length for the letter of interest.
- Please indicate your age, as applicants must be under the age of 36 at the time that the letter of interest is due.
- The strongest applicants will be invited to submit a more detailed application.
- Selected fellows are expected to depart for their fellowships within six months of their selection.
- The last date to apply for the ICWA Fellowship Program 2020 in the USA is June 15, 2020.
[button-red url=”https://www.icwa.org/apply/” target=”_blank” position=”left”]APPLY NOW[/button-red] [button-green url=”https://www.icwa.org/apply/” target=”_blank” position=”left”]OFFICIAL LINK[/button-green]
Post expires at 12:00pm on Monday June 15th, 2020